Sunday, 18 December 2016

Armour base colours

The armour colour are to be a greenish colour. I want to start with a lightish green and dirty up with some glazes. Since the areas are open and it's the first set of colours I can use my old Chinese €40 Royalmax airbrush.

Cheap airbrush is ideal for laying down big layers.

The initial colour is a mix of Vallejo German field grey and green sky. About 2 drops of each and some airbrush thinners in the airbrush cup. Mix up with a cocktail stick in the cup. The thinner is my own mix developed from the many recipes on the Internet. I'll post later what is the mix cause I cannot remember it right now. All I know is it is a gazillion times cheaper than buying thinners and I have the raw materials to last me a lifetime.

Colours in dropper bottles are ideal for adding to an airbrush cup by counting drops.

I base coated all the armour bits with this using three very light coats to get good coverage over the black primer. Then added another drop or two of the light green to lighten the tone and went back over the models hitting the upper areas of the armour where light would naturally fall. Finally I added a couple of drops of white to further lighten the colour and hit the very tops of the armour detail to give it bright highlights. 

Defiler and Slayer are starting to get a bit of colour.

Deathripper and Deneghra with basecoats.

I did all the layers one after the other. Because the  airbrush layers are so thin they dry almost immediately so by he time I got one layer finished on the last model the layer was dry on the first model. 

Update: My airbrush thinner recipe is 2 pars Distilled Water to one part Isoproply alcohol with 1ml of flow retarder every 50ml of mix. I mix up 300-400ml at a time and it lasts ages. I keep a small dropper bottle filled from my large batch so I can cound drops into the airbrush cup.







No comments:

Post a Comment